This cell phone tower in Chomedey, behind a shopping mall on Samson Blvd., was among the towers set on fire since last week.

Sûreté du Québec officials in Sainte Adèle said on Thursday that they have arrested a man and a woman suspected of having set up to seven cellular telephone service towers on fire in the Laurentians and in Laval – including cell towers in Chomedey and Fabreville.

Following reports of more cell tower fires in Sainte Jérôme and Blainville this week, the SQ said it had arrested the pair, described as being in their 20s, around 1:30 am on May 7. Over the past week, there were also fires at cell phone towers in Prévost and Piedmont in the Laurentians.

In recent years there have been incidents in some parts of the world involving vandalism to 5G cell phone towers. The incidents are thought to be linked to unfounded rumours 5G towers help spread COVID-19. As well, there has been controversy over the Chinese government’s high-pressure campaign to have its 5G system made by Huawei installed in western countries. In some incidents, it is believed, vandals mistook 3G and 4G towers for 5G.

This article appears in Laval News which, just like North Shore News, are subsidiaries of Newsfirst multimedia.

Martin C. Barry, Local Journalism Initiative Reporter for the Laval News, marty@newsfirst.ca