The Future of the Former Rosemère Golf Course: A Balancing Act of Development and Green Space Preservation

In a move that underscores the evolving legislative landscape of Quebec, the Metropolitan Community of Montreal (CMM) announced significant changes to its Interim Control Regulation (RCI) on January 30th. This amendment aligns with the new legal context in Quebec, aiming to balance environmental preservation with urban development needs.

The RCI, a pivotal tool for urban planning, has been adapted to reflect changes in Quebec’s laws, including recent amendments to the Urban Planning and Development Act. The modification also considers ongoing revisions to the Metropolitan Land Use and Development Plan (PMAD). According to the CMM’s press release, this update is part of a broader strategy to enhance the resilience of Greater Montreal while responding to the community’s demands for green and natural spaces.


Take a look at the
featured Local Savings
at the bottom of this page!

A significant impact of this regulatory shift is on the contentious issue of the former Rosemère golf course. The revised RCI now safeguards a minimum of 70% of this area, marking a departure from the previous regulation’s stricter prohibitions. The remaining 30% of the land is freed from these restrictions, opening avenues for potential municipal projects, including housing units to address the housing crisis, school construction, and other community needs, as per the CMM’s specifications.

However, this development comes amidst a legal tangle. Since January 2023, the Town of Rosemère has been embroiled in a $278 million lawsuit filed by the developers of the Quartier Melrose residential project, who purchased the golf course with plans for residential construction. The existing zoning on the 61-hectare site allows only for 12% residential building, a limitation unchanged since the property’s acquisition.

The city through its press release on February 5th, declined to comment on the matter. The town’s communication department conveyed that due to the ongoing legal proceedings related to the former golf course, involving lawsuits totaling $278 million from the landowner, the Town of Rosemère will not offer further comments. Instead, they reaffirm their commitment to acting responsibly towards the residents of Rosemère.

This development represents a critical juncture for Rosemère, balancing the need for urban development with environmental conservation. The outcome of this case could set a precedent for how Quebec’s municipalities navigate the complex interplay of urban planning, legal challenges, and community needs.