In a symbolic move towards a greener and healthier future, Rosemère Mayor Eric Westram, along with the dedicated members of Town Council, arrived at a press conference not in their usual cars but on bicycles. This gesture marked the official announcement of an ambitious Active Mobility Project that will unfold over the next decade within Rosemère and create vital connections with neighboring municipalities, including Laval, Boisbriand, Lorraine, Sainte-Thérèse, and Blainville.
“The project we are announcing today is the culmination of much thought and deliberation between 2018 and 2020, in response to residents’ input during public consultations and their call for concrete action on active transportation,” said Mayor Westram. “We listened, and today we are unveiling an active mobility project that is directly in line with our sustainable development priorities. We will be improving the entire network of bike and multiuse paths in Rosemère to promote active transportation and to make it even safer and more convenient.”
Take a look at the
featured Local Savings
at the bottom of this page!
The commitment to this transformative project is unwavering, and the Town of Rosemère will explore various funding solutions available through the provincial and federal governments, as well as the Communauté métropolitaine de Montréal (CMM). The initial investment required for Phase 1, which will span Labelle Boulevard from Île Bélair Bridge to Grande-Côte Road, is estimated at $5.2 million, minus any funding received. Further information about additional investments needed for subsequent phases will be shared in due course.
What is Active Mobility?
Active mobility encompasses forms of travel that rely on human energy, with or without electric assistance. It includes activities such as walking, jogging, cycling, inline skating, skateboarding, scootering, and more. Rosemère’s Active Mobility Project aims to make these activities more accessible and safer for its residents.
Key Features of the Active Mobility Project
The Town’s Active Mobility Project is a multifaceted endeavor that will bring about several key improvements, including:
- New Multiuse Paths: The addition of a new network of multiuse paths on Labelle Boulevard and Grande-Côte Road, which will include a path running along Labelle Boulevard (Route 117) from Autoroute 640 to Laval.
- Enhanced Connectivity: The project will connect several existing bike paths to ensure better connectivity between various neighborhoods, specifically around Labelle Boulevard, Autoroute 640, Roland-Durand Boulevard, and the Pineridge Sector, where Rosemère and Blainville’s bike paths meet.
Multiple Benefits for Rosemère Residents
During the press conference, Mayor Westram emphasized the numerous benefits of active transportation, which include:
- Improved Physical and Mental Health: Encouraging residents to engage in active mobility options contributes to better physical fitness and mental well-being. Active transportation promotes a healthier lifestyle.
- Reduction in Greenhouse Gas Emissions: By promoting alternative modes of transportation that do not rely on fossil fuels, Rosemère is taking a significant step towards reducing greenhouse gas emissions and combating climate change.
- Less Traffic Congestion: As more residents opt for active transportation, there will be a reduction in the number of cars on the road. This can alleviate traffic congestion, making commuting smoother and more efficient for everyone.
- Better Overall Quality of Life: The Active Mobility Project will enhance the overall quality of life in Rosemère. Cleaner air, safer streets, and improved physical fitness opportunities are all part of this vision for a more livable community.
Rosemère’s Active Mobility Project signifies not only a commitment to sustainability and eco-consciousness but also a dedication to the health and well-being of its residents. As the project unfolds over the next decade, Rosemère is poised to become a model for active and green transportation initiatives, setting an inspiring example for other communities to follow. The future is bright, and it’s on two wheels in Rosemère.